Thursday, February 14, 2008

Spiritual Thoughts to Ponder
from President Gordon B. Hinckley

The world has never seen a temple builder like President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008) who died late last month.


We were so fortunate to have had this wise leader leading the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for nearly thirteen years. We will truly miss him!!


Here are some of my favorite quotes from President Hinckley:




"Every ordinance that can be performed in the Salt Lake Temple, the largest in the Church, can be performed in these smaller temples.” ~ “This Great Millennial Year,” Ensign, Nov 2000.

“I challenge every father and husband to see that he is worthy to take his wife and children to the temple. There is nothing in all this world that will substitute for it. It is the greatest blessing that can come to any couple. Don’t put it off. If you need to repent, begin today and qualify to receive a temple recommend” (member meeting, Santiago, Chile, Mar. 11, 2006). ~ “Inspirational Thoughts”, Ensign, Feb 2007.

"I think of all the things of which I may be proudest, and I don’t mean that in an evil sense, is the fact that ever since I went on a mission I’ve had a temple recommend in my pocket. I have one in there now. It is my credit card with the Lord, and I am grateful for it” (meeting, Lowell, Massachusetts, 15 Oct. 1998). ~ "Inspirational Thoughts”, Ensign, Aug 2000.

“We have laid upon us as a people a greater charge, a greater responsibility than any other people have ever had in the history of the world. We are responsible for [taking] the blessing of the gospel of Jesus Christ to all who have lived upon the earth, to all who now live upon the earth, and to all who will yet live upon the earth. No other people have had so great a responsibility as that. God bless the faithful Latter-day Saints who carry in their hearts the love and respect of the great doctrine of the eternity of the family and of the tremendous doctrine of proxy work for the dead.” (Conference, Salt Lake Jordan Utah Stake, 31 January 1999 ~ “Words of the Living Prophet”, Liahona, Nov 2001.