Tuesday, April 3, 2012

1940 U.S. Federal Census:
Located First Ancestor!

Late last night, past the midnight hour, success marked my safari through the 1940 U.S. Federal Census.

It had been a long day -- not only for me but for many other genealogists as well.

The morning began with the National Archives website freezing or crashing. The website didn't work for me or for anyone else. As much as the National Archives staff thought they were prepared for the anticipation of family history researchers, they admitted later in the day that they had under-estimated the enthusiasm.

As a result, researching on the 1940 U.S. Federal Census was not going anywhere for anyone.

I tried using the website again a few times on Monday but to no avail. The situation even made the news on the Internet because the system had been in "ICU" for most of the day.

Then, just after midnight, I tried the website again. To my amazement and joy, I was able to download the sixteen pages available for the little town of Lindstrom, Chisago, Minnesota. (Maybe searching in the night while the rest of the world slumbers is easier on the system.)

The hunt was on for my Swedish great-grandfather, August Wilhelm Carlson!

After selling his farm in Chisago County, Grandpa August and his wife, Matilda, had moved into the town of Lindstrom. They were living in Lindstrom for the 1920 and 1930 federal census enumerations.

Matilda had died of stomach cancer in 1934 and August had never remarried. In fact, he would die in October 1941 so the 1940 U.S. Federal Census is the last one where he will be found.

It was exciting find August on the census. (Naturally he was on the second to the last image but sixteen pages aren't too many to read for a cherished ancestor.)

August W. Carlson is listed as a widower, age 76 years, and born in Sweden. His house was worth $2000.

Shortly after Grandpa August was located, I headed to bed with a cheerful heart. I was grateful that he had remained in Lindstrom because it made it so much easier to track him down.

I appreciate ancestors who "stay just where I last saw them".



the1940census.com