Monday, April 2, 2012

1940 U.S. Federal Census:
Excitement in the Air!

This morning marks the release of the 1940 U.S. Federal Census.

What adds to the excitement is that we can examine the digital images of the 1940 U.S. Federal Census at home. We do not have to fight traffic or make appointments at the National Archives or one of its branches. No longer do we have to find the proper microfilm in the cabinets or struggle with an uncooperative microfilm reader.

We don't have to fly out to Salt Lake City either to see the records on microfilms at the Family History Library. No hotel and restaurant bills breaking our family budget. No flight delays or car rental fees. Wonderful!

Yes, we really are fortunate to live today when digital images of important records can be viewed in our own homes. What a marvelous age!

While the release of this census is welcomed enthusiastically by many individuals and organizations, there is also a smaller group who complain that the information should not be viewed due to privacy issues.

This morning there was an article on the Internet stating that 21 million people are still alive who were found in the 1940 U.S. Census.

Since the census records are not released until after 72 years, those 21 million people have to be 72 years or older.

I look forward to reading other researcher's experiences as they search out their ancestors in 1940. The blogs and email lists should have a lot of interesting articles for us to share with one another.

In my own family, all my maternal relatives who were born before 1940 are now dead. Being able to see them in the census is exciting and gives me a chance to remember them with appreciation and fondness. Still I find myself a little more "homesick" for my mother and her extended family this morning.

I am looking forward to finding my mother in the census, plus her siblings and her mother. None of them had an easy life. I appreciate the opportunity to see their information and have some questions answered. Of course, I might have some additional questions after reading the census record.

On my father's side of the family, he and his three brothers are still alive. I don't think any of those four brothers would care that their information is now available for me or any other relative to see.

As for my husband's family, there are no relatives living who were born before 1940 -- except one aunt who is still alive. One uncle died in 1944 as his military unit crossed the Belgium border into Germany so this census will be the last one documenting his life.

There is some sadness when I consider how many individuals we have known and loved who are no longer with us.

So many times while researching family history, I think to myself "oh I wish I could ask some questions of my family members who are now dead". Perhaps some of my questions will be answered through the census enumerations for these individuals and families.

This morning I also started counting some of my more distant relatives who were living in 1940. Tracing them in the census will take me quite a while. The ones who lived in rural areas will be easier to find now. The ones living in larger cities may have to wait until the indices are available.

Nonetheless, I will be able to find many family members in the records. My parents were not married to one another yet so I will be able to check out their families prior to 1940. Additionally, three of my grandparents and five of my great-grandparents were still alive in 1940. Of course there are lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins to track as well.

Some people might count sheep but genealogists count ancestors!

So today is really an exciting day for sure! Good luck with your search!!


the1940census.com